• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

This is my final post (I don't care for any philosophical stuff anymore)

GadarJeet

SPNer
May 28, 2024
The Granth is a product of a unique forgotten culture that existed in Punjab. This culture produced poetry and had a different, more objective worldview compared to both Islam and Hinduism. It gave rise to poets like Nanak. It represents Punjab before the dominance of Hinduism and Islam. Its people have forgotten their ancient origin. They believe they started with Nanak but they started far earlier.

Edit also I’m pretty sure the Guru Within is the sub conscious mind, Sikhi it’s all about fixing sub conscious pain.

Kabir “the war drums beat in the mind, the warrior takes….” Some quote I read like that.

The Sikh temple functioned as a place for people to get help with their mental ailments.

Seva is not giving away food or physical charity, it is really supposed to be mental charity.

Acts of charity with physical products are only able to happen when the culture has excess energy/ food that they don’t need.

Because we live in an age of excess and have lots of leftover energy we can do this fake seva langar/ ritual.

The same principal in the modern seva (getting rid of excess, energy) is the same enactment of the Hindu ritual, getting rid of the excess milk honey flowers, smashing idols. This is the same, the getting rid of excess food, time.

Getting rid of excess is not seva.

Last edited:

Coffee

SPNer
Nov 11, 2019
Dear veer, Your final post suggests that there are many things you need to learn. In fact, not just you, all of us including me. Happy learning everyone!
Cheers!

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
The Granth is a product of a unique forgotten culture that existed in Punjab. This culture produced poetry and had a different, more objective worldview compared to both Islam and Hinduism. It gave rise to poets like Nanak. It represents Punjab before the dominance of Hinduism and Islam. Its people have forgotten their ancient origin. They believe they started with Nanak but they started far earlier.

Edit also I’m pretty sure the Guru Within is the sub conscious mind, Sikhi it’s all about fixing sub conscious pain.

Kabir “the war drums beat in the mind, the warrior takes….” Some quote I read like that.

The Sikh temple functioned as a place for people to get help with their mental ailments.

Seva is not giving away food or physical charity, it is really supposed to be mental charity.

Acts of charity with physical products are only able to happen when the culture has excess energy/ food that they don’t need.

Because we live in an age of excess and have lots of leftover energy we can do this fake seva langar/ ritual.

The same principal in the modern seva (getting rid of excess, energy) is the same enactment of the Hindu ritual, getting rid of the excess milk honey flowers, smashing idols. This is the same, the getting rid of excess food, time.

Getting rid of excess is not seva.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Shere there are chicken flavour crisps ,they don’t contain chicken just so there will be Synthetic Singh’s that may not contain the real ingredients but Seva to the one who receives it knows it’s real,the participant may have egocentric ideas and so loses some of the benefit from his efforts but the receiving person benefits nonetheless.

Action is informed by philosophy, we should use it thus.

Assuring you of my good sentiments and good will