• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Deh Siva Bar Mohe Eh hai -praises our physical body

GadarJeet

SPNer
May 28, 2024
It doesnt mean what we have been taught it means.

here's the incorrect wikipedia translation by DR Brahmin Sant Singh Khalsa :/

O Lord, grant me this boon that I may not hesitate from performing good actions .. I may not fear the enemy, when I go to fight and assuredly I may become victorious .. And I may give this instruction to my mind and have this tempotration that I may ever utter Thy Praises .. When the end of my life comes, then I may die fighting in the battlefield ..231..

— Translated by Dr. Brahmin Sant Singh Khalsa[1]

(This sadly is the translation you will find everywhere)

Heres the actual translation​

(You won't find it anywhere but here)

Deh Shiva bar mohe-eh hai

This PHYSICAL BODY (Deh) is greater than any boon granted by Shiva in mythology

shubh karman the kabhu na taroo

For as long as I possess this body, I should never refrain from the righteous acts

Na daroo ar siyoo jab jah laroon

I have no fear when I goto battle

Nischai kar apni jeet koroo

With confidence I attain victory

Ar Sikh hao apne hi man ko

And I have taught this to my own mind

Eh lalch hou goon tau uchroo

To be greedy in expressing your qualities (gunn)

Jab aav ki audh nidhann banay

When this offspring of yours is no longer of value

Aut he rann me tab joojh maroo

He will die fighting

Deh = physical body. It's not "de" to give. He's not asking for anything from akal purakh.​

He's THANKING akaal purakh for his DEH.

The H makes that big of a difference.

Sadly, people use this mistranslation to claim 10vi patshah was a worshipper of shiva when its saying the opposite

The presence of the word "eh hai" points to the sentence being about the human body/deh.

If it was simply about him asking for a "boon" per dr brahmin sant singh khalsa their would be no need for the "eh hai" at the end

It doesnt mean what we have been taught it means.

here's the incorrect wikipedia translation by DR Brahmin Sant Singh Khalsa :/

O Lord, grant me this boon that I may not hesitate from performing good actions .. I may not fear the enemy, when I go to fight and assuredly I may become victorious .. And I may give this instruction to my mind and have this tempotration that I may ever utter Thy Praises .. When the end of my life comes, then I may die fighting in the battlefield ..231..

— Translated by Dr. Brahmin Sant Singh Khalsa[1]

(This sadly is the translation you will find everywhere)

Heres the actual translation​

(You won't find it anywhere but here)

Deh Shiva bar mohe-eh hai

This PHYSICAL BODY (Deh) is greater than any boon granted by Shiva in mythology

shubh karman the kabhu na taroo

For as long as I possess this body, I should never refrain from the righteous acts

Na daroo ar siyoo jab jah laroon

I have no fear when I goto battle

Nischai kar apni jeet koroo

With confidence I attain victory

Ar Sikh hao apne hi man ko

And I have taught this to my own mind

Eh lalch hou goon tau uchroo

To be greedy in expressing your qualities (gunn)

Jab aav ki audh nidhann banay

When this offspring of yours is no longer of value

Aut he rann me tab joojh maroo

He will die fighting

Deh = physical body. It's not "de" to give. He's not asking for anything from akal purakh.​

He's THANKING akaal purakh for his DEH.

The H makes that big of a difference.

Sadly, people use this mistranslation to claim 10vi patshah was a worshipper of shiva when its saying the opposite

The presence of the word "eh hai" points to the sentence being about the human body/deh.

If it was simply about him asking for a "boon" per dr brahmin sant singh khalsa their would be no need for the "eh hai" at the end
I disagree with you, Being a Panjabi Sikh and born in India, I studied Khadi boli, Hindi, Panjabi etc so I have good understanding of these Indian languages.
You write DEH means body which is not true here, Its clear by reading the pangti DEH SHIVA BAR MOHE IHE which means O Lord, Give me the boon......
Here Guru Sahib praying to grant him the boon. The main point in this hymn is whether he prayed before Hindu God Shiva or the almighty.
The correct answer is he prayed almighty as Shiva. At that time Shiva, Vishnu, Ram or Krishna were commonly used as synonyms of Gods in Hindu religion so used by Guru ji also.
The translation of this hymn is correct.
The hymn is a part of Chandi Charitar Ukti Bilas, a section of the Dasam Granth. Throughout Sikh scriptures, the Sikh Gurus use both Hindu and Muslim names for god to refer to Waheguru. The word "Siva" primarily means Waheguru and represents God as monotheistic, undescribed, unseen and immortal."

In Guru Granth sahib we get " Gurmukh sang krishan murare"
Here Krishna is a metaphor for Waheguru. Same way Shiva is a metaphor for Akal purakh. The hymn is from Chandi Charitra Ukat Bilas. At beginning of Chandi Charitra Guru sahib writes what type of God he believes . He writes ਆਦਿ ਅਪਾਰ ਅਲੇਖ ਅਨੰਤ ਅਕਾਲ ਅਭੇਖ ਅਲਖ ਅਨਾਸਾ ॥
Aadi Apaara Alekh Anaanta Akaal Abhekh Alakh Anaasaa ॥
The Lord is Primal, Infinite, Account less, Boundless, Deathless, Garbless, Incomprehensible and Eternal.
ਉਕਤਿ ਬਿਲਾਸ ਅ. ੧ - ੧/੧ - ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ

ਕੈ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤ ਦਏ ਸ੍ਰੁਤਿ ਚਾਰ ਰਜੋ ਤਮ ਸਤ ਤਿਹੂੰ ਪੁਰ ਬਾਸਾ ॥
Kai Siva Sakata Daee Saruti Chaara Rajo Tama Sata Tihooaan Pur Baasaa ॥
He created Shiva-Shakti, four Vedas and three modes of Maya and Pervades in three worlds.
ਉਕਤਿ ਬਿਲਾਸ ਅ. ੧ - ੧/੨ - ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ

ਦਿਉਸ ਨਿਸਾ ਸਸਿ ਸੂਰ ਕੇ ਦੀਪਕ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਰਚੀ ਪੰਚ ਤਤ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸਾ ॥
Diaus Nisaa Sasi Soora Ke Deepaka Srisatti Rachee Paancha Tata Parkaasaa ॥
He created day and night, the lamps of sun and moon and the whole world with five elements.
ਉਕਤਿ ਬਿਲਾਸ ਅ. ੧ - ੧/੩ - ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ

ਬੈਰ ਬਢਾਇ ਲਰਾਇ ਸੁਰਾਸੁਰ ਆਪਹਿ ਦੇਖਤ ਬੈਠ ਤਮਾਸਾ ॥੧॥
Bari Badhaaei Laraaei Suraasur Aapahi Dekhta Baittha Tamaasaa ॥1॥
He extended enmity and fight between the gods and demons and Himself seated (on His Throne) scans it.1.
ਉਕਤਿ ਬਿਲਾਸ ਅ. ੧ - ੧/(੪) - ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: