• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Talented at Meditation or a Serious Problem?

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Yoga to Indian Sikhs because it is forbidden in Sikhism
योगस्थ: कुरु कर्माणि सङ्गं त्यक्त्वा धनञ्जय |
सिद्ध्यसिद्ध्यो: समो भूत्वा समत्वं योग उच्यते || 48||
yoga-sthaḥ kuru karmāṇi saṅgaṁ tyaktvā dhanañjaya
siddhy-asiddhyoḥ samo bhūtvā samatvaṁ yoga uchyate

Perform your actions. O Dhananjaya(Arjuna) beig established in or integrated with Yoga ,abandoning attachement and remaining even minded both in success and failure .This evenness of mind is called Yoga
~ BG chapter 2 verse 48

Why on earth this universal understanding of YOGA should be forbidden???

Yoga means the science of uniting the individual consciouness with the ultimate consciouness this equanimity ,is known as Yoga.

labhdig

SPNer
Sep 19, 2007

Perform your actions. O Dhananjaya(Arjuna) beig established in or integrated with Yoga ,abandoning attachement and remaining even minded both in success and failure .This evenness of mind is called Yoga
~ BG chapter 2 verse 48

Yoga means the science of uniting the individual consciouness with the ultimate consciouness this equanimity ,is known as Yoga.

Every faith offers union(Yog) with the Almighty. It is just that every path is different.

Don’t confuse the word Yog with Yog Marg.

The meaning for word Yoga in that post should not be taken literally but figuratively. You are using the word Yog whereas member meant the Yoga(Marg).

The Yoga Marg is forceful use and maneuvering of energies to achieve that union whereas Gurbani is Sehaj Marg where the mind gets cleaned, and the person is transformed over time with submission to the Guru and the guidance from the Guru. Totally different paths.

Even the renowned siddhas could not escape from their inflated egos from being renunciates. Guru Nanak Dev ji just pointed out those pitfalls. Even King/Yogi Bharthari had to finally get guidance from Guru Nanak Devji despite being a yogi for hundreds of years.

~ BG chapter 2 verse 48

Perform your actions. O Dhananjaya(Arjuna) beig established in or integrated with Yoga ,abandoning attachement and remaining even minded both in success and failure .This evenness of mind is called Yoga.
but I disagree if its said by Lord Krishna. Remaining in success and failures by abondoning attachement to worldly matters, how this stage of mind be called Yoga?
yoga is the practicing of keeping your mind stable and detachment from world but to connect with the one whom you worship.

View attachment 23094

Deep within worship the Guru. With tongue chant Guru’s name. Let your eyes behold the true Guru. With your ears, hear Guru’s name. Imbued with the true Guru, you shall find a place in the Lord’s court.

What is Guru’s Name – It is told by Bhai Gurdas ji to be Waheguru.

Hold your Guru in view and touch His feet. That makes the CHit(SatCHitAnand), consciousness open up to you(you are consciousness too but have been separated by mind’s mail), whereas, Guru is always one with and is Consciousness. Chant the name. Feel the presence of God Consciousness. With ears hear the name. When you immerse yourself in this experience, you become one with the Consciousness.

You can use the same method for Waheguru simran or when doing path. Just to clarify here, SGGS ji is living Guru, so you can bow down to SGGS ji unless you feel like going to Baba Nanak one day and say Guru Hargobind ji another day.

That is the method prescribed by Gurbani.
Thanks for your response Sir,
My question remained unanswered.
My question in Naam is given by other sects of Sikh religion like Namdharis and Radhaswamis etc. How will you justify which naam can take to almighty? We chant Waheguru as preached to us by our Gurus but why the Sikh followers of Radhaswami do not recite Waheguru but they chant some other name given their human gurus?
I have the answer, can share here but before that I want to know your scholar's views. I am returned to SPN after many years, so not aware of you people. Its my humble request, its not my superiority over you people but lest share to gain some more knowledge.
I hope you understand my views.

Last edited:

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
. Remaining in success and failures by abondoning attachement to worldly matters, how this stage of mind be called Yoga?
to not become a football of situations and circumstances . Do actions from Yoga level of Consciouness- योगस्थ: कुरु कर्माणि

labhdig

SPNer
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks for your response Sir,
My question remained unanswered.
My question in Naam is given by other sects of Sikh religion like Namdharis and Radhaswamis etc. How will you justify which naam can take to almighty? We chant Waheguru as preached to us by our Gurus but why the Sikh followers of Radhaswami do not recite Waheguru but they chant some other name given their human gurus?
I have the answer, can share here but before that I want to know your scholar's views. I am returned to SPN after many years, so not aware of you people. Its my humble request, its not my superiority over you people but lest share to gain some more knowledge.
I hope you understand my views.

I understand your question and have an answer, too. But I want to know first why are you giving importance to how Naam is given by others mentioned by you. Is it possible that you believe there is a certain process that needs to be followed? What are the conditions that you believe should be followed that qualifies the Naam that will take you to Almighty?
If you think about your belief that a certain process should be followed, you will know the answer yourself.
But I’ll answer with my understanding after I hear your response.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Check out Ashtanga Yoga. That is 8-limb-system as a way to achieve union in which Asana and Pranayama are dominant parts.
It looks like you are clinging to the terms instead of approach of each path.
But it's not different from yoga as you claim it to be

Asthang yoga is one part of eight limbs yoga as prescribed by patanjali .

The eight limbs form a sequence from the outer to the inner.

the eight limbs as yamas (abstinences), niyama (observances), asana (posture), pranayama (breathing), pratyahara (withdrawal), dharana (concentration), dhyana (meditation) and samadhi (absorption).

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Why should we when our Gurus has shown an easiest way to meet Akal purakh? You have directions to chose this longest and toughest marg, you may follow it
We are trying to understand the terms "Yoga " .

I have not discussed about the path or methods ..

There is nothing like easy or tough path in spirituality ..its a journey which is to be experienced

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: