• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Talented at Meditation or a Serious Problem?

Oct 6, 2023
I heard of meditation and the goal of detachment.
I have had a problem with sudden staring and detachment at random. I start to feel like something is wrong and then I sit down and slowly become unaware of my surroundings and my limbs feel cold and far away.
What I am not sure is if it is a sign from God and I’m really good at meditation or something like that or something seriously wrong with me.
If it is spiritual I will ask someone to teach me how to meditate more purposefully. If not I will go to a doctor asap.
I am often “in my own world” but this is way beyond that. If I fight this detachment it goes away and comes back with a vengeance.
Anyone who meditates please answer

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
youu are hyptonized by old saying, that if you start meditating then these signs happen. that is in the back of your mind, by the way it is not meditation. sggs deal with only 3 things entirely, you, you mind. straighten your mind through gurus teaching. rest is all hear say like you

Oct 6, 2023
youu are hyptonized by old saying, that if you start meditating then these signs happen. that is in the back of your mind, by the way it is not meditation. sggs deal with only 3 things entirely, you, you mind. straighten your mind through gurus teaching. rest is all hear say like you
I can’t stop. I don’t really want to accidentally meditate in class while I’m supposed to be taking a test or meditating while I go to the bathroom

Jun 12, 2024
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
The best advice I ever heard on Naam Simran or Naam Japo was "Do it and expect nothing...", meaning to say, do not focus on the stories you have heard from others. Various people will claim to have experienced various phenomena, and all to often it turns into a sort of peeing match: see who can get furthest. I can only speak for myself, and for me it is a very personal thing between Guru Ji and myself.

You cannot pick and choose, I don't think, as to where and when. But personally I do not know of any spontaneous sensations like you describe come crashing out of the blue. Happening, maybe yes, but not like that. I have only been in Sikhi for 8 years, so I could be wrong. Either way, rule out a medical reason first, and do not wait. It could be anything from hyperventilating to anemia to a sinus issue to something more serious. So, go. If all that is just fine, Guru Kirpa, then just relax and enjoy your Naam. If you trusted Guru enough to pledge your head to Him, then trust Guru enough to lead you in this.

To meditate thy true naam by sitting in Transcendent position is not Sikh way, its a pratice done by Hindu monks/Yogis. Gurbani doesn't permit it. So I agree with you and hoghly appreciate your views. Gurbani permits us to chant naam while doing our work also, simply by following HAATH KAAR MUKH DAATAR. That means you may chant thy true naam by your mouth while doing your job by hands.
Gurbani says;
ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੜੀ ਮਸਾਣੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤਾੜੀ ਲਾਈਐ ॥
Jog na bāhar maṛī masāṇī jog na ṯāṛī lā▫ī▫ai.
Yoga is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances.

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਦਿਸੰਤਰਿ ਭਵਿਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥
Jog na ḏes disanṯar bẖavi▫ai jog na ṯirath nā▫ī▫ai.
Yoga is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥
Anjan māhi niranjan rahī▫ai jog jugaṯ iv pā▫ī▫ai. ||2||
Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||
Placing "Yoga" under title of Guru Word is Complete Distortion of Reality.Gurbani do not recommend any kind of Yoga kind of Rubbish to common Folks. On the contrary the yoga practice is practised by hypocrites that have nothing better to do or do some constructive service in the community to fellow human beings and Waheguru's Creation. Gurbani advise Sikhs to Do Kirat, Do Service (Wand Chhako, and Remember the Eternal Creator at all times. If the all the instruction in Gurbani are followed properly there is no use of any kind of YOGIC HYPOCRISY.

There is no holiness in Yogic exercises of holding breath and pushing stomach inside outside. Normal simple exercises are enough to keep the body fit to serve the world. May be few Sikhs receive lot of praises from Mr. Modi, BJP and RSS members etc on this and some personal benefits and praise ? I can write a detailed essay quoting Gurbani ,but I am quite occupied with Community Service and Thoughts of Gurbani. Therefore I will not say much at this time because that would be a waste of time just like so called Yoga exercises. One wonders whether the Sikhs doing Yoga are really Sikhs? In reality "yoga is an heretical sham and curse instead of any kind of gift. Please give us Sikhs a break ! If we tune our thoughts to Sabad Guru and keep occupied in serving the Lord's Creation there is no need for any kind of YOGA PAKHAND. "Haath Paon Kar Kaam Kar Chit Naranjan Nal....' Such Sikhs are requested to not to mislead the gullible ones among us.

If Guru Sahib Ji wanted Gursikhs to practice Yoga they would not have quoted this SABD, ".......................ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤ ਨਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧ ਤਿੰਨੋ ਉਜਾੜੈ ਕਾ ਬੰਧ !!

IF ONE CAN NOT GET ANY PEACE FROM GURBANI,NO ONE CAN RECEIVE ANY PEACE FROM WANDERINGS IN YOGA !
My respect.
Ajmer Singh Randhawa
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
The best advice I ever heard on Naam Simran or Naam Japo was "Do it and expect nothing...", meaning to say, do not focus on the stories you have heard from others. Various people will claim to have experienced various phenomena, and all to often it turns into a sort of peeing match: see who can get furthest. I can only speak for myself, and for me it is a very personal thing between Guru Ji and myself.

You cannot pick and choose, I don't think, as to where and when. But personally I do not know of any spontaneous sensations like you describe come crashing out of the blue. Happening, maybe yes, but not like that. I have only been in Sikhi for 8 years, so I could be wrong. Either way, rule out a medical reason first, and do not wait. It could be anything from hyperventilating to anemia to a sinus issue to something more serious. So, go. If all that is just fine, Guru Kirpa, then just relax and enjoy your Naam. If you trusted Guru enough to pledge your head to Him, then trust Guru enough to lead you in this.

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel:

Latest Activity